Links to My Vacation Journals and Destinations

Looking for something in this blog?

England-Scotland Day 9 (Part 5) – Neist Point at Isle of Skye

11 April 2010

For a photographer or hobbyist, no visit to the Isle of Skye is complete without a visit to Neist Point to photograph the cliffs.  That’s what I told my family to get them to tag along with me while I took a detour off the beaten path to see this place.

Leaving the A863 near Dunvegan, I took a B-road heading west towards the most westerly point of the Isle of Skye, followed by a single track road. Thanks to the detailed map provided by Bill Johnson from our B&B, we managed to find this place.

There is a car park at the end of the single track road for hikers to leave their cars. There is a well publicised walk  (about one mile distance) from the car park to the lighthouse below the steep cliff. We did not take that path. It would be long walk down and a steep climb back up if we were to go to the lighthouse.

Instead, we went through a wooden gate and took a walk by the edge of the cliff northwards. The views from the top of the were magnificent, well worth the effort to get to this place.

I was leading the way across the fields looking for the best spot to shoot the “postcard” view of Neist Point while the family followed behind. Far behind!

Finally, the spot I was looking for - Northern face of the cliff and lighthouse in the distance. The trail leading to the Neist Point lighthouse in the distance could be seen on the left.

Neist Point at Isle of Skye.


Family photo at cliff overlooking Neist Point – a highlight of my trip to Isle of Skye.


Neist Point at Isle of Skye, ScotlandThe lighthouse at Neist Point. This is a view often seen in postcards of Scotland.


Neist Point at Isle of Skye, ScotlandTo appreciate this place, I shot a couple of panorama of the Moonen Bay and Neist Point.



I would have like to stay here a little longer to take more pictures of the coastline at dusk but that would mean a wait of at least 2 hours and a drive back on a single track road in the dark. Not a good option to take.

Neist Point at Isle of Skye, ScotlandLast look at Moonen Bay and coast of western Skye from near the car park.


We decided to head back to Portree for a good dinner at the Seabreezes Restaurant again. But it was not to be.

Seabreezes Restaurant was closed! We scouted around and have our dinner at the another restaurant on the quayside at the Portree harbour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to igoiseeishoot!

Thanks for visiting the igoiseeishoot blog. If you are visiting for the first time, you may want to start here.

This blog is where I share the places I have been to (I go), my experiences at these places, people I met, food I tried and things that fascinated me (I see) and memories of my travels and vacations with lots of photos (I shoot).

I hope you will enjoy reading the posts or find something useful in this blog.

I would love to hear your thoughts or feedback by email (igoiseeishoot@gmail.com) or dropping some lines into the comment boxes of the posts.

Stay connected with me on instagram.