Links to My Vacation Journals and Destinations

Looking for something in this blog?

Gyeongju-Busan-Seoul Day 3 (Part 3) – Undersea Tomb of King Munmu (Daewang-am) with the Gyeongju City Tour Bus

5 May 2012 

After the visit to the Seokguram Grotto, it was a relatively long bus ride as we headed for the coast. Accordingly to the itinerary, we are to visit the Royal Tomb of King Munmu or the Daewang-am. King Munmu is the king who unified the three kingdoms and became the 30th ruler of the Silla Kingdom. The king gave specific instructions to be buried in the East Sea after his death so that he would become a dragon and protect Silla from Japanese intruders.

But first, a lunch break at a small cafe in a seaside village. Lunch was not included in the tour price and we each have to pay the adjumma 7000 KRW to eat the buffet lunch. Lunch was simple, local Korean dishes which I think only the local Koreans would enjoy. Nevertheless, we tried several dishes that looked palatable, including some kind of fish, egg in soya sauce, tofu in soup, kimchi vegetables and spicy squid.

After lunch, the bus followed the coastal road and stopped at a vehicle park next to a beach. Across the water, in the sea, is the Royal Tomb of King Munmu.

King Munmu’s tomb is at those rocks.


Top view of the tombs/rocks as shown on the signboard. There is a small pond in the middle of those rocks in which a granite chamber lies.


Signboard explaining the significance and history of the tomb.


The King instructed his subjects “to cremate him and buried his ashes in the East Sea so that he could become a dragon to protect Silla”. Did he figured that the greatest threat to the Silla kingdom is across the sea? Japan?

Besides the historical interest of this place, there were other points of interest for a visitor and photographer. There were stalls selling dried sea-weeds, cuttlefish and salted fish. Some of these may end up in the lunch items for the next group of tourists!

Undersea Tomb of King Munmu (Daewang-am)Stall keeper getting ready for business.


Undersea Tomb of King Munmu (Daewang-am)Rows of stalls and seafood restaurants.


Undersea Tomb of King Munmu (Daewang-am)

Undersea Tomb of King Munmu (Daewang-am)Fish drying in the hot sun. Spot the fly.


It is said that this tomb is closely related to the Gameunsa Temple site, a short distance away. I will share my visit to the Gameunsaji Temple in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to igoiseeishoot!

Thanks for visiting the igoiseeishoot blog. If you are visiting for the first time, you may want to start here.

This blog is where I share the places I have been to (I go), my experiences at these places, people I met, food I tried and things that fascinated me (I see) and memories of my travels and vacations with lots of photos (I shoot).

I hope you will enjoy reading the posts or find something useful in this blog.

I would love to hear your thoughts or feedback by email (igoiseeishoot@gmail.com) or dropping some lines into the comment boxes of the posts.

Stay connected with me on instagram.