Links to My Vacation Journals and Destinations

Looking for something in this blog?

Walking the scenic Grütschalp to Mürren trail in the Jungfrau region

5 July 2015

Walking the scenic Grütschalp to Mürren trail

The plan for this morning would be to walk the scenic Grütschalp to Mürren trail. This is one of the recommended walking trail for beginners on the western plateau above the Lauterbrunnen valley.

The sun rose early and so was I. I wanted to shoot some photos of the gorgeous scenery in the morning light. I could see Murren in the distance, on the other side of the Lauterbrunnen valley from the balcony.

 View of Murren, perched on the cliff across the Lauterbrunnen Valley, as seen from the balcony of my apartment in Wengen.


 A sneak peek of the Grütschalp to Mürren trail as seen from Wengen.


It was a clear morning and the moon could be seen over the mountain. In fact, I could also see a brown coloured train making its way from Grütschalp to Mürren on the opposite cliff. It looked like a miniature toy train from where I sat.

After a breakfast of bread, fried eggs and bacon and drinking in the fantastic alpine view, we took the train from Wengen down to Lauterbrunnen.

 

 Wengen Station.



The station for the gondola to Grütschalp is just a short distance from the Lauterbrunnen Station. Our half fare card entitled us to 50% discount for the cable car rides.


Arriving at Grütschalp, we could see Wengen and our apartment across the valley. There was a viewing platform next to the Grütschalp station where we caught our first sight of the majestic trio – from left to right - Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau mountains!


After taking many photos of the mountains, we started on our 4.3 km walk to Murren.


This easy route crossed forests and grasslands. It offers great views of the Lauterbrunnen valley and the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau mountains.

The trail runs parallel to the narrow gauge railway between Grütschalp and Mürren and we spotted the brown train a few times along the way.

 The trail was well sign-posted.


We passed by Winteregg,


 scenic Grütschalp to Mürren trail

…and finally arrived at Mürren. Like Wengen, Mürren is car-free village perched on a cliff by the edge of the Lauterbrunnen valley.

Lying at the foot of the Schilthorn, Mürren is the access point to go up this mountain, also known as the James Bond’s mountain. The panoramic revolving restaurant at the summit, Piz Gloria, was featured in the 1969 James Bond movie On Her Majesty's Secret Service. We had no plans to go up the Schilthorn.

 Mürren.


From Murren, we could barely see Wengen across the valley, on the opposite ridge. After a 4.3 km easy walk on a clear sunny day, we pampered ourselves with lunch in the Edelweiss Restaurant, located at the edge of the Mürren cliff. 


While eating our lunch we spotted a couple of para-gliders passing above us and soaring down into the Lauterbrunnen valley below.

  Paragliders descending from Murren down to the Lauterbrunnen valley


That’s when Daniel got the idea that he wanted to try para-gliding. It seemed fun but dangerous.  Not today, as we had planned to walk the Northface trail after lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to igoiseeishoot!

Thanks for visiting the igoiseeishoot blog. If you are visiting for the first time, you may want to start here.

This blog is where I share the places I have been to (I go), my experiences at these places, people I met, food I tried and things that fascinated me (I see) and memories of my travels and vacations with lots of photos (I shoot).

I hope you will enjoy reading the posts or find something useful in this blog.

I would love to hear your thoughts or feedback by email (igoiseeishoot@gmail.com) or dropping some lines into the comment boxes of the posts.

Stay connected with me on instagram.