Links to My Vacation Journals and Destinations

Looking for something in this blog?

Stockholm in Winter – Monteliusvägen and Söder Mälarstrand for best views

18 January 2017



Monteliusvägen is one of the best places to enjoy panoramic views of Stockholm.  The 416m walking path is between Kattgränd on the west and Skolgränd on the east.  To get to this place, we took the subway to the Slussen T-bana station and walked the rest of the way to Skolgränd.

 First glimpse of the awesome view.




I kicked myself for forgetting to bring my Canon G5X and had to use my Samsung smartphone camera.




On any day, the pretty city of Stockholm waterfront and lakes would have been a photographer’s delight. Throw in some fresh snow and ice on the lakes, the views became much more interesting.  This was the reward for visiting in winter





The walkway was wide enough to accommodate larger groups but we were the only tourists on this trail. We met some local resident walking their dogs. The dogs in Sweden are generally well trained and friendly.

Along the way, there are terraces, park benches and picnic tables, making it easy to stop and enjoy the view. We had to be very careful with the ice on the wooden walkway.




Almost reaching Kattgränd, the western end of the trail.

This is what happens when you don’t use a Touch-sensitive gloves. Freezing hands.


After walking the Monteliusvägen, we made our way down to the edge of the lake along Söder Mälarstrand. Here we could get a closer look at the frozen lake and different viewpoints.



These are boats, operating as hostels along this stretch of the lake.


 

Panoramic view of the lake along Söder Mälarstrand.


We then walked across the bridge towards Gamla Stan and Riddarholmen. The viewpoints on this bridge were quite awesome as well.



Looking towards Slussen from the Centralbron bridge.



View of Söder Mälarstrand (where we came from) from the Centralbron bridge. 


View of Riddarholmen.


After the cold morning walk, we stopped by the Expresson House cafe in Gamla Stan for hot drinks and snacks! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to igoiseeishoot!

Thanks for visiting the igoiseeishoot blog. If you are visiting for the first time, you may want to start here.

This blog is where I share the places I have been to (I go), my experiences at these places, people I met, food I tried and things that fascinated me (I see) and memories of my travels and vacations with lots of photos (I shoot).

I hope you will enjoy reading the posts or find something useful in this blog.

I would love to hear your thoughts or feedback by email (igoiseeishoot@gmail.com) or dropping some lines into the comment boxes of the posts.

Stay connected with me on instagram.