Links to My Vacation Journals and Destinations

Looking for something in this blog?

Gyeongju-Busan-Seoul Day 3 (Part 4) – visit to Gameunsa Temple site and Silk Production Pavilion with the Gyeongju City Tour Bus

5 May 2012

The Gameunsa Temple was built by King Munmu, whose underwater tomb we visited earlier.  He did not complete it. Instead, his son King Sinmun completed this temple. Legend has it that he built a space under the golden hall of the temple for his reincarnated father (in the form of a sea dragon!) to have easy access.

Once again, the tour guide of the City Bus Tour handed us a English Language brochure describing the Gameunsa Temple and we went off to do the exploration on our own.

Twin pagodas in front of the Golden Hall (now flatten).


Gameunsa Temple GyeongjuWhatever that is remains of the Golden Hall.


The Pagoda is 13.4m tall. Three layer structure is typical of the pagoda design in those times.


Details under the 3 layered structure.


We had enough time to explore the site before boarding the bus to visit the Traditional Silk Worm Pavilion.  I have visited similar facilities before so this visit was not something really fascinating for me.  I  shot some photos of the silkworm cocoons from which smooth soft silk is spurned from.


Silk worms are fed mulberry leaves until they turned into pupa and hid themselves in these cocoons. The cocoons are boiled.

Traditional Silk Worm Pavilion

Silk Worm pupae are found inside these cocoons. These pupae are high in protein and is a good feed for Koi (Japanese Carp).


Traditional Silk Worm PavilionSpinning silk from boiled silkworm cocoons.


From here, we went to our last attraction for the day, the Golgulsa Temple.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to igoiseeishoot!

Thanks for visiting the igoiseeishoot blog. If you are visiting for the first time, you may want to start here.

This blog is where I share the places I have been to (I go), my experiences at these places, people I met, food I tried and things that fascinated me (I see) and memories of my travels and vacations with lots of photos (I shoot).

I hope you will enjoy reading the posts or find something useful in this blog.

I would love to hear your thoughts or feedback by email (igoiseeishoot@gmail.com) or dropping some lines into the comment boxes of the posts.

Stay connected with me on instagram.