Links to My Vacation Journals and Destinations

Looking for something in this blog?

Evening Cherry Blossom Viewing at Sumida Park and Kobe Beef dinner at Gyu-an Restaurant in Ginza district

3 April 2015

Sumida Park and River is within walking distance from Asakusa Temple and is one  of the best 100 Sakura Spots in Japan. There are about 1000 Sakura planted along the riverside.

After visiting Asakusa Temple, we arrived at Sumida Park at about 4.30 PM and settled down at Tully Coffee for a well needed break. We sat outside, beneath a cherry tree and did some people watching.  We spotted people in wedding dresses, tourists in rented kimonos and of course, plenty of regular tourists and locals.


 Some of the 1000 sakura trees planted at the riverside along Sumida River.


 Iconic golden Asahi Beer HQ building across the Sumida River.



 More Hanami Parties at Sumida River Park.


20150403_174044


For dinner, we had planned to try the famous Kobe Beef at the GYU-AN restaurant located in Ginza area. Apparently, real Kobe beef from cattle bred in Kobe is not exported out of Japan.  So, Japan is the best place to try Kobe beef.

We took the subway to the Higashi Ginza Station and the restaurant was a short walk from there. We did not make any reservations and a table was only available at about 8 PM. We made a “on the spot” reservation for a table at 8 PM and killed some time strolling along the high class Ginza shopping belt.

At 8 PM sharp, we went back to the restaurant and was led to a low table and sat on the floor, Japanese traditional dining style. The menu included set dinners with grilled Kobe beef steak and also cheaper set dinners with Kobe beef served as shabu-shabu or sukiyaki.

We both ordered the 10,000 Yen steak set dinner which came with a few appetisers and the “melt in your mouth” grilled Kobe beef, plus Asahi beer to go with the beef.


The above were a prelude to what was to come.


 Main course of the well-marbled Kobe beef.


The Kobe beef steak was served with dips of mustard, salt and pepper mix and BBQ Sauce. I think it is best to eat good quality beef without any dips to enjoy the full flavour of the meat and fats. After trying the Kobe beef, I think I would never enjoy the “normal” beef steak at home again. I am willing to forgo eating a few beef steaks at home, just to have a single Kobe beef steak again. Totally worth it.

 Posh GInza shopping district at night.


 Narrow building along GInza Street.


From Gyu-an restaurant, we strolled down Ginza Street again, towards our hotel. By now, the shops were closed but it did not matter since we were only doing window shopping.  

 Expensive looking and beautiful wedding gown at a store in Ginza.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to igoiseeishoot!

Thanks for visiting the igoiseeishoot blog. If you are visiting for the first time, you may want to start here.

This blog is where I share the places I have been to (I go), my experiences at these places, people I met, food I tried and things that fascinated me (I see) and memories of my travels and vacations with lots of photos (I shoot).

I hope you will enjoy reading the posts or find something useful in this blog.

I would love to hear your thoughts or feedback by email (igoiseeishoot@gmail.com) or dropping some lines into the comment boxes of the posts.

Stay connected with me on instagram.